A full and comprehensive series of recommendations will be available once the project has been approved by the funders.
These are likely to include general recommendations about:
- How the evidence base can be strengthened
- Methods of evaluation
– For instance with reference to meaningful theoretical or conceptual frameworks
– By ensuring that studies take place over longer time periods
– By exploring the processes that underlie arts projects.
– Studies that use a variety of evaluative methods (for instance RCT designs that also use qualitative data and studies that use a range of qualitative data) are needed
– Consideration should be given to the number and style of questionnaires that PWD are expected to answer (as noted by Rosenberg et al: 2009)
– There is a scarcity of research that evaluates the role of the arts for PWD who are in more advanced stages of the condition.
As well as more specific recommendations about:
- How participatory arts projects can be improved for people living with a dementia.
- The particular value of participatory arts projects for people living with a dementia.